Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Positive from a Negative

 
This was an email sent to Rick and Maria (Co-founders of Zentangle)  after Ferguson situation.  This touched my heart.
 
 
Good evening! 

I'm a resident in Ferguson, Missouri.  I don't know if you know about all of the unrest my community has been facing over the past few months, but today brought something beautiful. This past Monday night after the Grand Jury announcement, many of the local businesses were broken into, looted and burned.  When I drove to work on Tuesday morning I was shocked to see the damage. By that night all of the businesses had boarded up their windows. 

Some inspired artists decided to look at these boarded up windows as an opportunity to beautify and heal Ferguson.  For the past 3 days local artists have been out painting murals and messages of hope. I have been practicing Zentangles for the past few years and wanted to share the joy it has brought me with my community. 

The beauty shop, Beauty World, which had been burned on Monday night, became my Zentangle paper. The black and white paint became my pen. I was hoping to show through Zentangle art that, as you say, anything can be accomplished one stroke at a time...even working toward unity, equality and peace.  

In my heart, though, it was also a way for me to show that black and white can work together to create something more beautiful than any one shade can create on its own. My community is diverse and we are more vibrant because of that diversity.  We have the opportunity now to work together to create something more beautiful for our community, for our children, for our future. 

I have learned that Zentangle is not just art.  It's a type of meditation. It's an expression of energy.  It's a message of hope.  That's what I wanted to share with the community of Ferguson.  I wanted to share an image of my painting with you because without your teachings, I couldn't have created such a work of art.

Thank you for providing this art form that helps me to work through and express my emotions and thoughts during this transformative time. 

Thank you!  C.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment