Friday, March 27, 2020

Zentangle - COVID-19

Molly Hollibaugh, daughter of Rick Roberts  (one of the co-founders of the Zentangle Method)
writes during COVID-19: stay at home quarantine. 

 A No Mistakes Philosophy...On And Off The Tile.


Molly writes...
When someone asks me about the Zentangle Method, a few things come to mind. I usually talk about how it is a step-by-step approach to pattern drawing and then, depending on who I am talking to or what the circumstances are, I talk about some of the philosophy behind the method.

Practicing Zentangle is the best way to understand these philosophies. I think every artist that practices Zentangle brings their own interpretation to its definition and that adds to the overall meaning. One of the most valuable and important aspects of the Zentangle philosophy for me is the “no mistakes” philosophy. When we say there are no mistake in Zentangle, it is not intended to mean that there will never be an unintended stroke, spill, rip or a just plan “ugh”. What we mean is that when it does happen our reaction is not to react with disappointment, anger, or discouragement but rather to embrace it and see it as an opportunity.

This is a major shift in perspective that requires courage and trust. Once you trust and welcome that every stroke on your tile has purpose, beauty, and potential, you start to see your work differently. This can be hard at first. How can you say that what clearly appears to be a mess as potential beauty?
Sometimes, it takes time away from the work, sometimes it takes creative ideas for change and sometimes it takes a decision to go in a new direction. Once you open up your mind to this viewpoint you will also notice a new creative flow state. A creative flow state can only be achieved if there is nothing in its way. When an artist gets stuck on perfection, distracted by things that come out not as expected or if one places expectations on themselves that are so specific, you narrow down your success of finding a flow state in your creative process.

When you approach your work with openness and welcome all parts of your creative process, you start to understand their purpose and role in the bigger picture. If you believe that each stroke of your pen or mark of your pencil plays a role in all the marks that follow you start to see them differently. You see opportunity and potential. You learn to trust the creative process and embrace the humanness that makes it special. You can start to embrace how this new perspective allows you to focus on the present and then pushes you forward to the next step. Once you implement the “no mistakes” philosophy in your artistic process you might start to see and feel it trickling into other parts of your life.

Today, we find ourselves in days of “uncertainty”. While this might be true, and this might be part of our reality, what if we took this opportunity to focus on some of the beautiful things that are emerging and all that we are grateful for. I, for one have found gratitude in the extra time at home. I have particularly enjoyed the extra snuggles with my children, discovering a new trail in the woods, spending extra time around the dinner table, working on a jigsaw puzzle, watching a movie, and drawing. I am also finding gratitude in just stopping to take a huge metaphorical breath. Sometimes the world seems to be moving so quickly, and there is so much focus on what is next that we forget to focus on where we are. These past few days, I have appreciated not having any plans.

I believe and know that we will eventually return to our busy lives, but as for today I am feeling grateful for this opportunity to rest and recharge. I am trying to take note of how powerful this feeling is. I am feeling grateful for this opportunity to just take a break from it all … and knowing that I am not alone doing it. This experience will change a lot of things for a lot of people, and although there will be difficulties and challenges, there will no doubt will be beautiful things too. There will be discovery, renewal, and awesomeness …. You just have to look for it.

5 comments:

  1. We miss you Ms. Janet! We are staying healthy and active of course. Alex and CeCe are eagerly awaiting the libraries to re-open. I am too, I am running out of books to read, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is Cailin Acosta, I guess it didn't update my name :0)

      Delete
  2. What about hosting a ZOOM Zentange meeting?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! During this pandemic, I've discovered my passion for Zentangle. I was googling any classes near where I live and I got to your website! I hope you will have opportunity to teach zentangle in Chula Vista! I'd looooove to take your classes!
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be starting Zentangle Zoom classes Dec or Jan. Give me your email and I'll add you to my email list @ maseyjanet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete