Monday, September 22, 2014

Diva Challenge #186 "String Theory" Leaves Leaves Leaves

Diva Challenge is challenging this week.  In San Diego, we don't have fall colors.  I have been trying my whole life to time it perfectly when I travel to see this beauty take place.  Not being successful up to two years ago, I planned a trip by chance to visit my Mother in Washington State on Halloween.  Bingo !!!.  OMG, when I got off the plane, I couldn't believe my eyes.  I must of taken 300 pictures in  three days.  All of you that have "color" in your life... don't take it for granted. 
 
Now onto the Diva Challenge...Not having fall leaves available (or trees for that matter in my yard... I have plumeria plants).... yesterday by chance at our Zentangle Club, Susan's Aunt was visiting from Canada and since the maple leaf  is on Canada's flag which represents nature and environment as well as:   
The maple leaf wasn't chosen at random. Adoption of the maple leaf as an
 important Canadian symbol dates to 1860, when the prince of Wales was visiting.
 The English wore their traditional roses, the Scots wore their traditional thistles, and
Canadians needed something to wear as well, so they chose a maple leaf.   
 
Thanks Susan, it was a perfect Diva Challenge for today.  Who would have thought?  So today you got a little history of Canada, what I like to grow in my yard, and that everyone doesn't have color in their lives...  Thank goodness for watercolor pencils and Zentangle.
Susan dusted the tile first with several fall watercolor pencils, blended, and strung a maple leaf shape in pencil.  We tangled.  I choose to use a brown micron pen to go along with the fall colors. 

23 comments:

  1. WOW... love the maple leaf.. really pretty too done with the brown... great idea... love this though... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe this was the Diva's Challenge this week!? What timing. Really like your tile … didn't even think to use the brown micron. Thanks for the kind words about yesterday. It was a very fun afternoon and my Aunt loved meeting all the ladies. She's asked for a kit to take home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the Zentangle experience continues... Yay !!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely done, look like lace. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully detailed tile and using the sepia on a gentle background looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful maple leaf. It's nice to learn the story behind it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful leaf and story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have plumeria growing in your garden then you have some color---well, white and green anyway. Fall colors are the compensation for having to survive the winter months---and hot, muggy summers too where I live in Philadelphia. Your maple leaf would do any Canadian proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! We don't get leaves changing here either in South Carolina (at least where I am at)...looks like I will need to take a roadtrip!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely tile, I like the brown feeling... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so pretty. Colored pens for this project seem pretty obvious, but who would have thought brown could look so delicate. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  11. this Canadian appreciates your lovely maple leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great to use a brown micron on a white tile for the leaf challenge. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed the leaf challenge (I went with a maple leaf too!) and yours is very pretty!!!! Our leaves are JUST starting to change here in NY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely! You've inspired me to get a brown micron ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful and very lacy leaf! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great maple leaf and nice combination of tangles to fill it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Full of lovely detail! Terrific job. Really like your colour choice, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice leaf Janet! Sounds like you had a nice day! If you're ever in my area of Washington, look me up! I'm just across the Columbia River from Portland Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful leaf. I love the clean style you used

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful tile and delightful post.

    ReplyDelete