Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Dragonfly's are Buzzing in Kensington/Normal Heights Library

Today was my first "children's" Zentangle class at Kensington/Normal Heights Library in San Diego, So Cal. I have taught adult Zentangle monthly classes at this location for two years.   As I watched the kids come to class they asked if it would be painting?  I said no and they seemed a little disappointed.  I told them I was going to teach them the magic of Zentangle and how easy art can be with using the Zentangle Method.

With an image of a dragonfly on cardstock in front of them and a sharpie pen, I began telling the kids that Zentangle is about patterns (we call them tangles).  I shared the name of each tangle as we learned how to draw them (Crescent Moon, Tipple, Barber Pole, Knase, Keeko, and Diva Dance

The two tiles  below (that's what we call the paper), were twins Alex and Cecilia's art work.  I think they were seven or eight.  Alex was pretty fast at completing his tangles and would read his book between waiting till the next tangle instruction.  He was a cartoonist and asked if he could add his flavor to the design.  I suggested to follow along with class to grasp the idea of the patterns and at home he could include tangles in his art piece.  Kids love making their own tangles.

Zentangle can be used in every media, watercolors, quilting, gourds, clothing, canvas, wall murals, journaling.   Get the idea?  Everywhere and anywhere.


Juliet came with her grandmother, because her Mom was home sick.  Before class, I asked her age,  concern with whether she could complete class.   I usually suggest student being six years old and/or can write their name , i.e.,  control a pen/pencil. Juliet said five years old and I start kindergarten in September.   I asked her if she could write her name.  She said yes.  I told her to take as seat.  There was an extra seat and I invited Grandmother to join in class.  Every class is fun for any age with the Zentangle Method.  

As Juliet started filling in her dragonfly with tangles, she said "this is so easy", over and over again.  She couldn't wait till the next pattern was taught.  Lynn, the library manager, walked around class as the kid were drawing to observe how kids were doing, I think she was surprised how much the kids liked Zentangle.    

Juliet was soooooooooooooo  cute.  Below is her art and grandmothers.  Grandmother did a good job too.  










I sure enjoy teaching kids.  Kids say the funniest things.  Alex, being a cartoonist, liked to cut his hair like a cartoon character.  The other boy said he had a Zentangle joke.  What did the dragonfly say to the Zentangle?  Patterns are flying around.  He asked it I got it?  You know, dragonfly's fly in patterns and we were drawing patterns?!  So funny.

After class, grandmother was excited to learn that I also teach adults.  One Zentangle class will you leave you thirsty for more.  WARNING:  Zentangle can be addictive.




























No comments:

Post a Comment